Dead Cat - the work of Matthew Gaffen

10/29/2010

The Thing; Past, Present and Future

Kurt Russel, what a man.

Some of you may know that John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my favourite horror movies of all time. Right down to the incredibly cool final line of dialogue in the movie deliverred by Kurt Russel. Him and the only other survivor sit, unsure whether one of them is the thing, the base burning around them and both about to freeze to death. Childs asks him what to do and he responds with 'Why don't we just wait here a while... See what happens.'

Incredible.

In any case, I recently descovered and watched the original film The Thing was based on; "The Thing From Another World". Here it is.



The acting is hammy, the elements of the plot slightly silly - very much a 1950's B-movie. However, you can still see elements that make a compelling film and if you have the time to waste it's actually fairly enjoyable.



Whilst I'm on the subject of The Thing, I have been trying to not get excited about the announcement of a 'The Thing' prequel movie, to be released on April 29, 2011 It's being shot by Norwegian director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. As far as I am aware it is based around the Norwegian research team, two of which who are seen at the beginning of the first movie trying to shoot an infected husky



To be honest, the only way I can see it being all that great is if it is some independent movie shot entirely in Norwegian with unknown actors. Likelihood? Pretty low I'd imagine. However having said that, there's been news that the special effects of the film are a 80/20 split animatronics to CGI. This has got to be good news as the original is one of the most incredible examples of physical effects used in a movie I've ever seen!



So, excited? I'm not sure. Interested? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment I'll feel really popular all of a sudden